Computer Lists Books by Topics For Faculty Use

Widener Library is using an I B M computer to provide the Faculty with a series of pamphlets enabling them, without leaving their offices, to look up quickly all Widener books on a certain topic.

Each pamphlet will index one particular subject. All books together with their call numbers, will be listed under an elaborate system of topics and subtopics.

So far, only a pamphlet on the Crusades has been prepared.

"At present you can't go to the card catalogue and immediately find a list of all books on the Crusades," said Richadd DeGennaro, Assistant Director of the University Library, the developer of the new system. "With these pamphlets, if you want a list of all books written on Italy's role in the Second Crusade, it's there under that very heading," he said.

The special use of the computer, DeGennaro explained, is that once the present books are programmed, all new books can be added merely by typing out a new IBM card. Since the computer automatically puts the books under its proper heading, the pamphlets can easily be kept up to date.

Moreover, he said, the computer can put thousands of books in alphabetical order in a few minutes. Although these tasks can be done manually, the cost without computers would be tremendous.

At present, Widener has key-punched into the memory cells of the computer only those books written about the Crusades but is now programming books on African history and government.

DeGennaro plans to program all 3,000,000 Widener books, but declined to estimate how long this would take.