Groups Clash Over Speaker In YRs' Vote

By Robert J. Samuelson

The Harvard Young Republican Club, split most of the fall over whether or not to endorse Barry Goldwater, faces another bitter controversy tonight as an intense campaign for the club's leadership ends.

One of the candidates for president, Duncan A. Ragsdale '65-3, claimed in a recent campaign statement to have "contacted and received favorable replies...for speaking engagements" from three national figures, including Sen. Hugh Scott (R-Pa.). Members of the faction opposing Ragsdale insist that his claim to have contacted Scott is a "blatant distortion."

Scott will speak at Harvard March 5 under the auspices of the Winthrop House Forum. According to Barney Frank, assistant senior tutor, Scott is coming at the invitation of Winthrop House.

Last night Ragsdale said that he had "most certainly not" contacted Scott personally but had only reported to the HYRC's executive committee that the senator would visit Harvard.

'Serious'

David L. McNicol '66, who opposes Ragsdale for president, said yesterday, "this is a very serious matter, which if true, could harm the HYRC a great deal. I hope Duncan can clear himself of the charge."

Although the campaign has avoided the "liberal-conservative" ideological issues, both candidates have criticized the current president, Eric A. Von Salzen '66. Von Salzen has not endorsed either candidate, although it is believed he favors Ragsdale, a former roommate.

Ragsdale has proposed a "Council of House Agents" to foster "increased membership participation."

McNicol claims, on the other hand, that the club failed this year because it "provided no program of general interest to its members." He has proposed reviving the club's legislative assistant program and freshman political workshops. His faction says it has received acceptances from Rep. John V. Lindsay (R-N.Y.) and former Rep. Robert A. Taft (R-Ohio) for speaking engagements.

Ragsdale reported he has also received "favorable replies" from former Vice-President Nixon and former GOP national committee chairman Dean Burch.

Tonight's election meeting is at 8 p.m. in the Leverett House dining room.