Wrestlers' Rally Subdues Stubborn Princeton 22-9

By Lee H. Simowitz

After dropping the first three matches to a tough, hungry Princeton squad, the Harvard wrestling team rallied to sweep every other match on the state and defeat the Tigers 22-9 Saturday.

Howie Henjyoji, leading off-for the Crimson at 123 pounds, was reversed by the Tigers' Greg McBride in the last minute of the third period and lost a 5-4 decision. Brian Baker of Princeton then stopped Bing Sung 5-0 at 130. Tiger Captain Sam Pierson inflated Princeton's lead to 9-0 by surviving Tom Gilmore's punishing ride in the second period of their 137-pound match and winning a 2-0 decision.

But 147-pounder Phil Emmi, wrestling his first match for the Harvard varsity since December, halted the Crimson's slide by edging Princeton's Bob McLaughlin 3-2. McLaughlin, trailing 2-0, suffered a painful ankle injury in the third period, but continued with the ankle taped and reversed Emmi to tie the match. Emmi then escaped for the winning point.

Catapult

Ed Franquemont and Dave Worchester, wrestling 157 and 167 respectively, catapulted Harvard into the lead with a pair of pins. Franquemont stopped Princeton's Bryant Crouse at 3:56, and Worchester pinned Thor Solberg to give the Crimson a 13-9 margin.

Chris Wickens added three more points to Harvard's snowballing score with a 5-3 victory over Dave Harrison of Princeton at 177. Crimson Captain Ben Brooks, wrestling at 191, clinched the meet by edging Reg Ungern 6-5. Harvard heavy-weight Tack Chace then disposed of Jan Twardowski 7-2 to complete the Tigers' undoing.