U.S. Seen as Fighting To Contain Red China

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

The article on Vietnam by Walter L. Coleman and L. Michael Robinson documented the dismal story of American involvement in South Vietnam. A careful reading of the New York Times establishes the indigenous character of the Viet Cong guerilla movement; it also establishes the repressive and reactionary character of the South Vietnamese regimes that we have supported over the past ten years.

Presumably the decision-making in Washington know this story. They occasionally say that we are fighting to keep South Vietnam free and independent, but this is not meant to be taken seriously. Their real reasons for continued involvement are three. First, they tell us that if South Vietnam falls, soon the rest of Southeast Asia will fall to the Chinese Communists. Second, if South Vietnam falls, those Communists who advocate the use of force to extend Communism-primarily the Chinese-would be strengthened. Third, American prestige would suffer a serious blow if we leave South Vietnam.

Domino Theory

The first argument, the so-called "domino theory," represents logic stood on its head. Government succumb to rebellions if they are weak and unpopular. If we are concerned that Thailand, Malaysia etc., will fall to the Communists, we should attempt to make them strong, stable countries by offering large-scale economic aid and encouraging political reform. Our futile attempts to prop up backward governments in South Vietnam will not save governments in Southeast Asia, if they too are backward.

The Chinese strategy of extending communism by force relies on the belief that a guerilla movement can win the sympathy of the majority of the people in a country. Our government has been trying very hard to prove this strategy correct in South Vietnam. If we wish to disprove this strategy, we should stop supporting regimes which, by their repressive character, ensure victory for guerilla movements.

How would withdrawal affect American prestige? Our prestige is eroded daily by the events in South Vietnam. It is apparent that we cannot win without complete military occupation of South Vietnam, which would require our killing massive numbers of peasants and, in any case, would only postpone the eventual defeat. The only hope for our prestige is to get out of the war.

Our government is fighting against powerful desires for national independence and economic development. Only if we support these forces can we gain the friendship of popular governments in the underdeveloped areas. As long as we oppose these forces, we shall find ourselves increasingly unwelcome everywhere. David M. Kotz '65   Former President   H-R Students for a Democratic Society