HDC Membership Accepts New Executive Committee

By Harrison Young

The Harvard Dramatic Club ratified by a 39-1 vote yesterday a constitution facing control of the club, the Loeb main cage, and the Experimental Theatre in he hands of a non-elective, self-perpetuating executive committee.

Despite more than a week of unofficial debate, almost no opposition developed yesterday. Charles N. Ascheim '65, who had opposed the non-elective, self-perpetuating nature of the executive committee, withdrew his counter-proposal, and voted or the new constitution.

Ascheim explained that since an elective executive committee was not acceptable to Robert H. Chapman, director of the Loeb, and George E. Hamlin, associate director, it seemed wise to try the new constitution.

John H. Anderson '66, Laura Esterman '66, John Lithgow '67, Timothy Mayer '66, and David Maynard '67--the undergraduates who last week proposed the changes in the club--took office immediately as the members of the special committee. They will meet in April to select the plays for mainstage production at the Loeb next year.

The club also elected Peter Skolnik '66 as president, Honor Moore '67, recording secretary, and Susan A. Bramhall '68, corresponding secretary.

In his capacity as a "tribune of the people," Skolnik will attend executive committee meetings but may not vote. He may, at his own discretion or at the request of one-fourth of the members, call general membership meetings to amend the constitution.

The extent of popular control inherent in this provision became clear during the meeting. Skolnik, who had not then been elected, asked what would happen if the necessary two-thirds of the active members approved an amendment unacceptable to the faculty directors of the Loeb.

Mayer replied: "The only thing that would be unacceptable to the Faculty would be something that nullified a large portion of the constitution.

One amendment was approved. Under the constitution as originally proposed, when vacancies occurred on the executive committee, the committee was to send out a list of acceptable replacements. A mailed vote of one-half of the membership would have been necessary to block the appointment of any candidate.

Nancy S. Couturie '65 moved, and it was voted, that voting be at a general membership meeting--although votes by mall would also be accepted--that three-fourths of the membership constitute a quorum, and that a veto of one-half of those voting be sufficient to block any-one's election.