Mail: HCUA, Swindlers, Charter Flights

Charter Flights

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

It was with great interest that I read the letter of John Polacheck. Mr. Polacheck was evidently unable to secure figures to support his belief that the profits of the HSA charter flights agency are excessive and I feel that I can supply some helpful figures.

In an attempt to save money at Christmas vacation in December of 1963 and after duly noting the HSA fare of $106, I contacted TWA in order to ascertain the roundtrip fare to St. Louis for a group of college students. I discovered that the airline charged $105 per person for a group roundtrip to St. Louis. This was a considerable saving over the $131.26 per person regular fare and amounted to a $1 per person saving over the HSA fare. With this savings in mind, I contacted a number of Harvard and Radcliffe students from St. Louis and formed a group to take advantage of the fare reduction. The HSA flight did not get off the ground that year.

With the success of 1963 to bolster my confidence, I again attempted to form a group to fly to St. Louis during the recent Christmas vacation. TWA confirmed that the rate was still $105 per person. In spite of the fact that the airlines had not changed their fares, the HSA this year raised their fare to $115 per person, making a gross profit of $10 per person. With the smallest group allowable this would mean a profit of $250 and I feel sure that the HSA with its massive advertising campaign secured more than the 35 people in my group, secured only through personal contacts within the undergraduate body of the University.

As to the procedure and "red tape" involved, I find it incredible to believe that HSA feels $10 per person is necessary to cover this expense. After contacting the group flight people at the airlines, all that must be done is to sign a contract and pay for the tickets. Contacts with the airlines are kept to a minimum and there is virtually no "red tape." This does not exclude the possibility that there is considerable "red tape" within the HSA organization.

A gross profit of $10 per person seems high on the surface of it, especially considering the number of persons using the HSA service. It is, I think, unwise to censure the HSA with only limited information about profits and no information about expenses, however, and I do think a clarification of HSA financial practices by someone from the HSA would be in order. Ronald L. Taylor '66