Mrs. Bunting Will Return To 'Cliffe This Summer

By Maxine S. Paisner

Mrs. Bunting is coming back.

Currently serving a one-year appointment as a member of the Atomic Energy Commission, Mrs. Mary I. Bunting will resume full-time duties as President of Radcliffe in July. She will return to Cambridge in another role this spring, as the speaker at the college's 83rd Commencement exercises on June 16.

When President Johnson offered Mrs. Bunting the job with AEC last March, she accepted on the condition that she would remain for only a year. But since she left for Washington, rumors that she would be staying there "indefinitely" have been circulating at the College.

Although she has reportedly been offered other jobs in the capital, Mrs. Bunting said recently that she would definitely be returning to Radcliffe when her term expires this July.

Logical Choice

Mrs. Carl J. Gilbert, Acting President of Radcliffe, said recently that Mrs. Bunting was the "logical choice" for a Commencement speaker since the Class of '65 had asked for "a woman prominent in Government."

She also pointed out that this will be Radcliffe's only opportunity to have Mrs. Bunting speak at the exercises, since the President ordinarily must preside.

Baccalaureate

Kenneth V. Thimann, Higgins Professor of Biology, will deliver the, Baccalaureate address on June 15. Thimann, who was master of East House from 1962-64, will become Provost of College Three of the University of California at Santa Cruz in September.

Although on a leave of absence from the College, Mrs. Bunting has been in Cambridge once every other weekend to supervise her undergraduate seminar on bacteriology and to check on the progress of the library-study center being constructed on Garden St.

Describing her work on the AEC as an "unusual educational opportunity," Mrs. Bunting said that her contribution will come later when she shares her "new insights with other educators and the public."