Influenza Sidelines Hayes, Costs Harvard Sure Victory

Harvard's chances for four first places in the Eastern Intercollegiate swimming Championships came to a grinding halt yesterday when ace butterflyer Neville Hayes came down with the flu and had to be driven back to Cambridge.

Hayes, undefeated in ten dual meets during the season, was such a shoo-in for the 200-yard butterfly title that sportswriters were already marking up the points when the news of his sickness came through. In his absence, the victory went to a man Hayes had thrashed earlier in the season, Frank Pratt of Army, in a time of 2:01.1. Hayes has swum 1:57.4. this year.

Bob Corris of Harvard swam a respectable 2:20.2 in the 200-yard breaststroke. At his effort was only good enough for fifth place. Rick Forum of North Carolina won the event in 2:18.4. Corris and Bruce Fowler are the top two seeds in today's 100-yard breaststroke, in which Fowler is defending champion.

Yale continued its crushing march toward the championship, piling up 219 points to Army's 126. Senior Roger Goettsche won two events for the Yalies, taking the 200-yard backstroke in 1:59.5 and the 200-yard individual medley in 2:02.7.

Olympians Steve Clark and Dave Lyons displayed Yale's depth in the 200-yard freestyle, taking first and second with times of 1:45.1 and 1:45.6, respectively.

In addition to a possible breaststroke victory by Fowler or Corris, the Crimson, in ninth place with 37 team points should get a victory from the East's leading diver, Dan Mahoney, in the three-meter dive today.