Faculty to Vote Today On Gen Ed Curriculum

The Faculty will probably take a first vote today on Chapter Four of the Doty --the chapter which contains specific proposals for reforming the 's General Education curriculum.

Dean Ford said last week that he expects a vote on the first three questions forward by Paul M. Doty, professor of Chemistry and Chairman of the cial Committee to Review the Problems and Status of the General Program.

Doty's first question was whether the Faculty would accept Chapter Four as it stands. The chapter recommends a new division of General Education into Sciences and Humanities, instead of the present three-area division of Social Sciences, Humanities, and Natural Sciences. It also calls for a six-course overall requirement in General Education, roughly similar to the one now in effect. This will probably be the only vote taken at the meeting.

If the chapter is not accepted, the Faculty will go on to Doty's second question, whether the proposals would be acceptable with specific amendments. If this, too, is voted down, the floor will be opened for new proposals.

Controversial Provision

The chapter is not expected to do well in tomorrow's test vote. The combination of Humanities and Social Sciences in the new Humanities area has been among the most controversial of the report's provisions--3 of the 12 speakers at the last Faculty meeting criticized it specifically. In addition, the chapter recommends requiring Gen Ed courses, and 94 Faculty members voted against this at December's Faculty meeting.

Tomorrow's meeting will be the first of three this month. Two special meetings have been called in an attempt to get the debate on Gen Ed finished by the end of the academic year.

Controversial Provision

Controversial Provision