Upper Level Gen Ed Gets New Courses

Four upper level Social Science, and two Humanities courses will be added to the General Education program next year.

Lincoln Day, presently involved in research at the Peter Bent Brigham Hospital with the School of Public Health, will teach Soc Sci 125. "Population and Social Change." The Fall-term course will deal with the determinants and consequences of population characteristics and trend. The study of these trends is intended to provide the student with a frame of reference, firmly grounded in demographic fact, for understanding the past developments and future prospects of human society.

Pay will investigate such questions of how to define upper and lower classes in terms of "hard datum." Given the "Concrete material, you can argue about ," he said, but "demographers as are impatient with philosophical speculation."

The other Soc Scis will include Soc Sci Nazi Totalitarianism" taught by M. Hunt, assistant professor of Social Studies, and Soc Sci 124 "Civil in American History," a full course to be given by Mark DeWolfe Howe '28, Professor of Law, and Stanley Katz, assistant professor of History.

The Rev. Charles P. Price, preacher to the University and lecturer on Pastoral Theology, will give a new Humanities course in Christian Thought. Although the themes "faith and reason, good and , and freedom" will be examined within a historical perspective, special attention will be paid to major developments within the Christian Church.

Hum 135, "The Enlightenment," to be by Herbert Dieckmann, Smith Professor of the French and Spanish Language will return after a three-year .