Aiken Leaves For Brandeis Professorship

Henry David Aiken, Professor of Philosophy, announced yesterday that he has accepted an appointment as professor of Philosophy and the History of Ideas at Brandeis University. He has sent a letter to President Pusey indicating his intention to resign after July 1,1965.

"I doubt I could leave Harvard for any other university but Brandeis, and I go there only because I feel I can perhaps be of greater service to philosophy there," he said yesterday. Aiken expressed his high esteem for the "unquestionable technical competence" which Harvard's Philosophy Department has displayed during the 19 years he held tenure hors.

Aiken feels confident that although he is leaving Harvard, he will be able to maintain contact with Harvard students through the cross-registering program which allows study at more than one college.

At Brandeis, Aiken expects to continue teaching courses on ethics, the philosophy of art, and the history of philosophy during the 18th, 19th, and 30th Centuries. His courses, both graduate and undergraduate, will continue to emphasize the conflict of ideas in Western civilization, his greatest interest.

He plans to continue working on various books, one of which, Revolt Against ideology, should be ready for publication late this year.

Aiken first came to Harvard as an instructor in 1943. He spent the following year at Columbia University and returned to Harvard in 1946 when he was offered tenure.