Winthrop House Acquires WHBS From B-School

Winthrop House just bought itself a radio station, but it has neither a place to put it nor call letters.

The radio station, which consists of four turntables, a 50-watt transmitter, a main control panel, lots of old 78's and perhaps a tape recorder, was purchased from WHBS, the Business School's now-defunct venture into broadcasting.

Winthrop may choose to keep WHBS standing for Winthrop House Broadcasting System--as their new call letters, or may select one of the many suggestions, such as WJOX, WONK, WLSD, or WHMP, being offered by hangers-on.

Since there is presently no space available for the station, broadcasting operations will not begin until next fall when room will be provided, Master Bruce Chalmers reported yesterday.

The station is being purchased by a group of sophomore radio enthusiasts, with the help of a $200 loan from the House Committee, according to Joseph Blanchard '67, a spokesman for the group. The rest of the money will be put up by interested students, and an attempt to repay the loan by soliciting throughout Winthrop House will be made. "We would really like to make this a house function, rather than something for a select few," Blanchard said.

Adams House was also considering the purchase of the station, and sent a team radio experts to look at the equipment. Their report convinced Adams House to withdraw its bid. At present, WLHR, Leverett House Radio, is the only operating House station. James T. Heringer '65, director of WLHR noted that "sometimes we get audiences of 25 or 50."