Franquemont Wins, Loses In NCAA Wrestling Meet

Ed Franquemont, Harvard's only entry in the National Intercollegiate Wrestling championships at Laramie, Wyoming last week, defeated his first opponent but was eliminated in the second round of 147-pound competition.

Franquemont, who led the Crimson this season with an 8-1-1 record, beat Allan Sieverston of Wisconsin 7-4 in the first round. "Ed was all over him," said Coach job Pickett, who accompanied Franquemont to the Nationals. Sieverston was a former two time Iowa high school champion.

But in the second round, Jim Crider of Colorado State College, the fourth-seeded Wrestler at 147, stopped Franquemont, 9-4. Franquemont had led in the match until the third period. Crider, who finished sixth, lost in the semifinals, denying Franquemont a chance to wrestle again. Under tournament rules, Franquemont would have resulted in the consolation round only if the man who defeated him had won in the semifinals.

On the strength of Franquemont's performance, Pickett estimated that the Harvard sophomore stands seventh or eighth among the nation's 147-pounders. The only Ivy League competitor to place in the meet was Conrail's Geoff Stevens, sixth at 157.

The Nationals, long dominated by farm-boys from Iowa and cowboys from Oklahoma, this year was a resurgence of Eastern wrestlers. Mike Caruso of Lehigh at 123, Hill Stewart of Lehigh at 137, Bob of Maryland 157, and heavyweight Jim Nancy of Syracuse all won individual titles. , Iowa State nosed out Oklahoma State 87-86 for the team title largely on the impetus of six consolation victories Lehigh was third.

In other post-season tournaments, Harvard's Howie Henjyoji was second in the 114 pound division of the Eastern AAU Tournament. In the championship match, Henjyoji drew with his opponent, but lost the title because Olympic rules award a drawn match to the lighter man.

Harvard freshman captain Paul Padlack won the 171-pound class in the New England AAU tournament in Attleboro.