Gen Ed Program to Add 2 Lower-Level Courses

By Mary L. Wissler

Two new lower-level Gen Ed courses will be offered next Fall, and one present lower-level course, Soc Sci 4, will not be given again.

A new version of an old lower-level Humanities course, Hum 8, covering "all aspects of theatrical experience," will be given by Robert Chapman, associate professor of English and director of the Loeb, and Daniel Seltzer, assistant professor of English. According to Chapman the course will give a small number of students some experience with directing, acting, and stage production.

Soc Sci 111, "History of Far Eastern Civilization," will be "streamlined" and offered as a lower-level course, according to John, Fairbank, Francis Lee Higginson Professor of History. Albert Craig, associate professor of Japanese History, who teaches the course with Fairbank, said that the course's status was changed to allow students "to take Soc Sci III early and have time to study further in the field as undergraduates." He emphasized, however, that upper-classmen would still be admitted to the course, even if they had already taken a lower-level Soc Sci.

Civil Rights Course

Several new upper-level courses will be offered next Fall as well. Mark De-Wolfe Howe '28, professor of Law, and Stanley Kats, assistant professor of History, will give an upper-level Soc Sci course on "civil rights in American history." Kats speculated last night that the course "will proably not place as much emphasis on contemporary issues as people would like." The first semester will trace the history of civil rights to the Civil War, and the second semester will deal primarily with the 13th, 14th, and 15th amendments.

A course in "Nazi totalitarianism," taught by Richard Hunt, assistant professor of Social Studies, and a new course on Africa offered by Robert I. Rotberg, assistant professor of History, will also be offered as upper-level Soc Scis.