Powerful Golfers Tee Up, Will Putt to Great Season

By Stephen L. Cotler

The Crimson golfers have beaten Yale once in the last 25 years. Yale has its own golf course; Harvard has none, Yalies get practice, Harvard gets some. But this may be the year.

On the heels of last year's mediocre 7-6 season, Coach Cooney Weiland cautiously commented that, "Things are looking up. We have five players who have the potential to be as good as any five in Eastern college golf." Of last year's lettermen, the only major loss will be captain Stan Abrams.

The team will be led by captain Chip Campen, whose fall record this year includes victories in both the Greater Boston Intercollegiate and the ECAC New England Regional tournaments. Harvard won both these meets, with the top five men averaging under 80, Campen participated in the entire fall tournament schedule without shooting a double bogey, averaging a slick 77.

Pushing him hard for the number one position will be sophomore Brian McGuinn, top man on last year's freshman squad. McGuinn tied for the lead in the last GBI meet, but lost out to Campen with a bogey on the third sudden death hole. A very powerful hitter, McGuinn outdrove Campen's 230-yard drive on the first play-off hole by a full 70 yards.

Also up from the freshman team will be number two man Bob Sinclair, who has been described as "brilliant, but often erratic." Einclair placed fifth and third in the two fall tournaments, averaging 79, but shanked to a duffer's 92 in the ECAC finals.

Back after a semester of inactivity will be Peter Tague, who was number three last spring. Tague is a consistent golfer and possesses a very flashy follow-through. Coach Weiland noted that, "potentially he could be one of our best."

Other returning lettermen are juniors Charles Hawkins, Wayne Thornebrough, and Mike Millis. Hawkins picked up a 6-5 record last year at number four, and should hold down the fourth or fifth slot again this year. Thornebrough and Millis will probably be fighting for the number seven spot.

Senior Jim Buchanan, who played General Bullmoose in last year's Winthrop Honse musical instead of playing golf, will be returning, but will not make the spring trip to North Carolina. Even without this practice, he could move up as high as number five.

But back to the Yale match. The season spens April 10, at Navy, and from there, its straight down the fairway and over the Bullodgs on May 5.