The Birmingham Incident

We are seriously disturbed by the incident of discrimination which marred the Glee Club's Spring tour through the South. Because he is a Negro, Archie C. Epps, assistant dean of the College and assistant conductor of the club, was denied--by an officer of Harvard University--the right to sing in a Glee Club octet on Birmingham television. Though no one doubts the good intentions of Professor Forbes, his judgment in this case was questionable.

Professor Forbes offered two reasons for his decision to exclude Epps. First, he shared the Birmingham Harvard Club's fear that an integrated TV performance would inflame racists and endanger both the decorum of that evening's full concert and the very safety of the Glee Club. Second, Professor Forbes noted that--in the eyes of the local Harvard Club--the segregated TV performance was an unfortunate but necessary means to a laudable end. The all-white show was the best way to promote the main concert, which was integrated, took place before an integrated audience, and was followed by an integrated reception.

We find neither rationale tenable. It was not necessary for Professor Forbes to allow principle and safety to conflict. After learning that Epp's appearance on TV would put the club in danger, Forbes should have cancelled the octet's performance.

The logic behind the convoluted means-ends argument also is rather weak. Was one short, early morning TV appearance really essential to the concert's success? Even if it were, and however praisworthy the Harvard Club's provision for an integrated concert, integration and racial harmony in the abstract do not justify a very particular act of discrimination.

The Birmingham incident involves a point of principle which transcends in importance the details of this case. To ensure that such an incident does not occur again, the Administration should immediately make its policy of non-discrimination clear to all University officials and Harvard Clubs.