UNINFORMED STUDENTS

The Mail

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

It is interesting to note that fifteen thousand students would demonstrate in Washington, completely oblivious to what should seem rather obvious to everyone: that if there were any class of individuals who would not be taken too seriously, it would be a crowd of fifteen thousand adolescent and only slightly post-adolescent, relatively uninformed (relative to those whom they were trying to impress) college students on a Saturday afternoon. If they all looked as scrubby as the bunch from Harvard in the picture, I would venture that the whole demonstration has hurt, rather than helped, their cause. Their altruistic motives are admirable, but I distrust their ulterior ones. The more objectionable members of the Lampoon sendoff should be chastised, but more because it is unkind to call an overweight child "fatty" because he overeats to compensate for emotional problems. Fifteen thousand able-bodied students putting in an eight-hour day could raise a minimum of $120,000--a sum which, turned to the proper channels, could inform and educate hundreds of thousands of people. The fact that these people would rather take a Saturday bus ride to Washington--often with their dates, and march about with signs all day, ought to elicit more pity tha scorn from all those really interested in a better solution to the current war in Vietnam. Laurence O. McKlnney '66