Editors Stage Walkout on B.U. News

By Robert C. Spencer

Student editors of the Boston University News staged a walk-out last night despite alleged threats from Harold C. Case, that anyone who participated in the strike "will not retain his status in the University."

However, the News is scheduled to appear Wednesday, published by members of the paper who did not join the walkout, Raymond Mongo spokesman for the striking faction said last night. He added that a majority of editors had quit.

Student grievances date back to February when the threat of administration censorship of the paper led the editors to demand that students be allowed to control the paper. Threat of a walk-out at that time led Case-who is also publisher of the News-to agree to set up a "Blue Ribbon" committee to study possible means of reorganizing the paper to give students more control.

The paper's editors agreed to wait for the results of the study. Last Thursday, the editors voted to demand that Case release the findings of the committee. They also demanded that he confirm the state of officers for next year as nominated by the senior editors of the News. Otherwise, they said they would not continue to publish.

Werner Bundschuh, Editor-in-Chief of the News, said last night that Case's failure to accept or reject next year's officers had further aggravated student suspicions that their opinions are being ignored by the administration.

Case replied to the editor's ultimatum yesterday by revealing that he intends to relinquish his position as publisher in favor of a board of publishers composed of students, faculty, administrators, and alumni, to achieve a publication reflecting the views of "Boston University as a whole."

The News' editors last night voted 16-2 to reject Case's proposal. A staff member delivered a letter explaining, the editors' decision to Case's home last night.