Dedijer Says Both Ideology, Unrest Necessary for Successful Revolution

Vladimir Dedijer, leader of the Yugo-slav partisan movement, said last night that in a successful revolutionary movement, there mist be a balance between the "role of ideology and the role of social unrest."

Speaking to an audience of 75 in the Kirkland House Junior common Room on "Guerrilla War and the Conspiratorial Theory of History". Tito's diarist explained that an ideology of change fostered among the intellectuals will not sustain a revolutionary movement without the backing of a mass movement. On the other hand, he said, a spontaneous uprising will not be successful without its goal founded in an ideology.

Dedijer then stated that conspiratorial interpretation of revolutions is in correct because it does not recognize that a revolution "is made for the benefit of the people who begin and join it."

A holder of the conspiratorial theory, he explained, would view a revolution as working not for the benefit of the people involved, but for the benefit of some foreign country trying to topple an enemy government.

Dedijer said that Stalin, who held this theory, denounced Tito as an agent of the West after Tito's new government, established over Stalin's protests, was quickly recognized by the U.S. and Britain.

During the question period Alexander Cvijanovic, a member of the Nationalist resistance movement, contested the speaker's contention that the nationalists were "Quislings".

He pointed out that the Nationalists and Partisans had fought each other as much as they fought the Nazis because of political disagreement between Tito's Communist partisan resistance and the royalist-republican nationalist resistance.

Most issues between the two former revolutionaries went unresolved. Cvijanovic disputed with Dedijer over whether or not the Nationalists had corroborated with the Germans.

Dedijier had contended that wounded Nationalists were treated in German and Italian hospitals while Partisans were treated in Allied hospitals. But a former navy officer, who had transported wounded men to Allied hospitals, countered that half of those he transported were Nationalists.