Letter Circulates Supporting Epps

William White '65, secretary of the Harvard Gles Club, has circulated a letter explaining the actions of Archie Epps, assistant dean of the College, and Elliot Forbes '40, Fanny Peabody Professor of Music, in the recent discrimination incident in Birmingham.

Malcolm M. Brown '65, president of the Glee Club said last night that he hopes "the Executixe Committee will give the letter official commendation because it reflects the view of many of the members of the committee" that he has spoken with. The committee will meet to vote on the letter tonight.

White says that Forbes was confronted by a sponsor who had "visions of a bombing," and thus was concerned for the personal safety of the club members. Even if everyone was "willing to risk his personal safety," this is not a decision "to be made by one man for others," the letter continues. "The extenuating circumstances were many, and no matter what our feelings about the decision, we all know that [Forbes] acted in the very best of faith."

White then explains that Epps did not argue very long with Forbes, over the director's decision to have the octet appear on TV without him. Epps, he explains, felt the issue was clear and argu- ment unnecessary.

Epps was not only disturbed by the decision but was also "quietly, deeply upset" when members failed to support his disagreement with the decision, "What could he feel but that if no one would help him at such a time, he would have to do something himself," White says.

The letter then asks the question of why Epps' response to the discrimination was so vituperative. In defense of the strength of the attack, White says that "it is impossible for a white person to comprehend the great distress aroused in a Negro who is faced with discrimination. It seems to me it would be a rare person indeed who would be able to hold himself back in a situation such as this. I have an idea I might have done the same thing."

White says that he has found it "difficult to understand why so few members of the club have not been able to understand Archie's [position]." Looking at the subject objectively "it is difficult to conceive why he [Epps] should feel justified in speaking so strongly against someone he has known for years as a friend." But if people would look at the situation more closely and try to view it as Epps would, White continues, they would have to agree that they might have done the same thing