PBH to Run Summer Day Camp For Roosevelt Towers Children

By Robert J. Samuelson

Phillips Brooks House will use the University's athletic fields to run a six-week day camp this summer for about 120 Cambridge children.

The youths, aged 8 to 13, will be drawn form Roosevelt Towers, a state housing project in East Cambridge where PBH volunteers have been working for the past year and a half.

PBH received an $8000 grant from the Boston Permanent Charity Fund and will use part of it to pay six students now working as volunteers in the project to stay in the City over the summer and run the camp. Campers will also be asked to pay $2 a week to defray costs. Volunteers from the Summer School and from Cambridge will aid the six paid workers in managing the camp.

Slightly more than 100 volunteers currently work in Roosevelt Towers. The program, PBH's largest, has generally been well-received by both project real-dents and City officials. Volunteers have concentrated this year on youth-oriented projects--tutoring children and organizing both athletic contests and trips to different parts of the metropolitans area.

With money from the grant, PBH will be able to pay a professional consultant to work 20 hours a week, instead of the present 10 hours. Because the consultant will be able to spend more time talking with volunteers, the program will be able to expand next year by about 30 people.

During the summer, children coming to the camp will spend a half a day working an arts and crafts projects of participating in athletics. The University has allowed PBHA to use the Business School Field, Carey Cage, and some tennis courts behind the Business School.

Allowing non-University people to use Harvard's athletic facilities is a departure from normal policy. It has been done before on a sporadic basis, but, said Adolph W. Samborski '25, director of athletics, "I certainly don't remember anything like this." Campers will come to Harvard four days a week; on Fridays, excursions will be organized.