Four to Leave German Department; Stein Replaces Atkins As Chairman

By Linda J. Greenhouse

Four members of the Department of Germanic Languages and Literatures are resigning and leaving Harvard next month. They will be replaced by a newly-appointed full professor, two new full-time instructors, and two visiting term appointees.

Stuart P. Atkins, professor of German and Chairman of the Department, is leaving for the University of California at Santa Barbara. Jack M. Stein, professor of German, will succeed him as chairman; a visiting professor in the Fall and a visiting lecturer in the Spring will teach Atkin's courses.

Joachim Bumke, professor of German, will leave for the Free University in Berlin after teaching two courses in the Summer School. A permanent professor will be appointed to replace Bumke in his speciality, medieval German.

Robert H. Spaethling, assistant professor of German, will resign to teach at Williams College. Eckehard P. H. Simon, instructor in German and Head Tutor of the Department, will be promoted to assistant professor. Two instructors will be appointed, one to fill Simon's present position and the other to replace James M. McGlathery, instructor in German, who is leaving for the University of Illinois.

Dean Ford is expected to announce the appointments of the new professors soon. "They will be prominent men in the field," Atkins said yesterday.

'Not At All Unusual'

Atkins stressed yesterday that a turnover of three or four members a year is "not at all unusual" in the Department, which has nine permanent members and one term appointment.

"There is nothing surprising about this," Atkins said. "I'm only surprised that I've been here as long as I have." Atkins has taught at Harvard for 24 years.