Track Team Might Work Up Sweat In Beating Army Today at Stadium

The Track team will face its stiffest dual meet competition of the outdoor season when Army visits the Stadium at 1 p.m. tomorrow.

The Cadets were the last squad to beat Harvard--by a 76-73 count at West Point last spring--but a repeat of that upset is not very likely. The Crimson's resounding victory in last wek's Heptagonal championships would seem to indicate that nobody in the league belongs on the same field with Harvard.

Army should post its share of first places. Jim Warner won the Heptagonal mile after being tripped to the ground a lap from the finish, while Harvard's Jim Smith stayed on his feet, and finished way back in the pack. Smith edged Warner for second place in the indoor Heps, but a similar surprise is unlikely tomorrow.

Cadet Steve Clement won the 880 last week with the Crimson's John Ogden and Keith Chiappa running fourth and fifth. The Harvard pair are itching for revenge, and might steal the race if Clement lets them set a slow pace.

Hal Jenkins, Army's third Heptagonal champion, is the odds-on favorite in the 440. Although Sammy Robinson, shut out in the trials of the 440 last week, will be up for this one, he just may be put down. Jenkins may give Army first place in the mile relay, and the Cadets should win the pole vault and the javelin, but after that it's all over.

Wayne Andersen and Mike Hauch have he sprints sewed up. Aggrey Awori and Tony Lynch will go one-two in the high hurdles, and Lynch will run away with the intermediates. John Bakkensen and Art Croasdale will sweep the weight events. Awori and Harvey Thomas will sweep the broad jump, and Chris Pardee and Charles Njoku should do the same in the high jump.