Young Socialists Attack U.S. Policy, Protest Johnson's Dominican Stand

The Harvard-Radcliffe Young Socialist Alliance, officially recognized two weeks ago, held its first demonstration Saturday to protest U.S. involvement in the Dominican Republic.

Twenty students from Harvard, Tufts, M.I.T., Northeastern, and Boston University displayed anti-Johnson posters on Mass. Ave. next to Lehman Hall while their leader negotiated with the Cambridge police over their right to march without a permit.

At the request of the police, the pickets retreated to the Charles River and marched among the weekend sun bathers. Then two demonstrators (one carrying a sign saying" "Get Johnson's Rough Riders out of the Dominican Republic" and the other brandishing "Johnson Shoots and Asks Questions Later") put down their posters and stood on a bench to speak.

They said that Johnson's action marked the first time since the 1930's that the U.S. has landed troops in Latin America. They added that "Johnson found it neces-to send 10,000 troops to prevent a real revolution," because of "the popular support enjoyed by the so-called rebels."

Advancing Vietnam, the Congo, and Cuba as evidence, the protesters said that Johnson had apparently decided to intervene militarily wherever U.S. corporation investments were threatened.

Finding both the Republicans and Democrats insufficient, the speakers advised that "only the road of independent political action will give the American people a voice in foreign policy."

The pickets then returned to the Square and continued their demonstration with no further protests from the police.