Maryland Wins IC4A's; Crimson Third

For a team that wasn't even officially entered, Harvard did pretty well in Saturday's IC4A track meet.

While over half the squad pored over teams in Cambridge, a few Crimson-skirted renegades ran up a total of 20 points on the Rutgers field, third best behind Maryland (46) and defending Champion Villanova (43).

Tony Lynch and John Bakkensen scored victories, and both gained meet records in the process. Bakkensen lived in to his billing as favorite in the discus throw with a 173 ft., 8 in. toss, over three feet farther than the second place effort. The win avenged Bakkensen's only loss of the season, to Manhattan's Bob Snelgerwald in the Penn Relays.

Lynch also righted some wrongs. Colgate's Dick Johnston and Navy's Court-yard Cray had upset the Crimson's captain-elect in the 440-yard hurdles earlier is spring, but neither got within arm's length Saturday.

Lynch boomed out of the blocks and won going away, seven yards ahead of Villanova's Larry Livers, and three more in front of Gray. The time, 0:51.5, tied the record set last year by Maryland's Chris Stauffer.

Livers turned the tables in the 120-highs, the most exciting race of the day. Lynch led most of the way, but the Wildcat speedster caught him at the last hurdle and was a little bit stronger in the stretch. Both men were clocked in 0:14.2.

The other Crimson points came from captain Art Croasdale, third in the hammer throw, and lanky junior Chris Pardee, third in the high jump.

Croasdale caused a controversy in the trials when the judges were unable to decide just where his second qualifying throw had landed. Some opposing coaches raised a storm when it appeared that the Crimson captain would be credited with a 180-ft. toss, and the harried officials finally decided to rule out the throw altogether and give Croasdale another try.

Art obliged with a soaring 191-ft. effort that gave him the lead going into the finals. The blond behemoth bettered that one with a 194-ft., 8 1/2 in. heave, but Cornell's Tom Gage and Northeastern's Bill Corsetti also improved their trial throws and took first and second.

Croasdale's distance was his best ever.

Pardee's third place performance was less exhilirating. He cleared 6 ft., 6 in. easily on his first try, but couldn't get his steps right after that. As expected, Maryland's Frank Costello took first place (6 ft., 10 in.). Yale's Kim Hill was second at 6 ft., 8 in.

Harvard's other chance for points, sophomore sprinter Wayne Andersen, had his problems on the muggy Rutgers track. He made it to the finals of the 100, but slipped coming out of the blocks and spent the first ten yards trying to regain his balance. By the time he did, he was a lead-pipe cinch for sixth place.

Maryland's team victory ended a five-year winning string for Jumbo Elliott's Villanova Wildcats. The Terrapins won two events besides the high jump, on the strength of Henry Cole's 24 ft., 5 3/4 in. broad jump and Russ White's 241 ft., 1/2 in. javelin throw.

Villanova countered with Livers' hurdles win, victories by Noel Carroll in the 880 (1:50.9), and Earl Horner in the 100 and 220, but the Wildcats just didn't have the depth.

Army's Jim Warner upset Tom Sullivan and Seton Hall's Germann brothers in the mile with a 4:08 clocking. The Germanns also finished two-five behind Carroll in the 880. Ballyhooed Tom Bauer of St. Johns looked great in his trial heat but didn't score in the final.