Nine Meets Yale Today

Game time--3 p.m.

The Harvard baseball team will try to make it seven in a row over Yale today in the traditional Commencement game at Soldiers Field.

Lefthander Jim McCandlish will in all likelihood be starting for the Crimson as the team goes after its 11th win against 2 losses. McCandlish, a sophomore, pitched the team to a 2-1 win over Yale last month.

If McCandlish falters, tall righthander John Scott, a starting forward on the varsity basketball team, will be ready to help out. Scott and McCandlish were the team's two most reliable pitchers this year.

It has been a good year for sophomores on this Harvard team. Not only did McCandlish step into Paul Del Rossi's shoes as the top starting pitcher, but first baseman Joe O'Donnell and outfielder Dan Hootstein were among the team's top hitters.

Both were honored last week by being named to the first-string all-East team picked by coaches in the Eastern Inter-collegiate baseball league. O'Donnell .378 in league play and Hootstein .355.

Shortstop Tom Bilodeau, a three-year letterman for coach Norman Shepard's Crimson teams, was named to the second team behind Columbia's Archie Roberts, who hit .400 in league play. Bilodeau hit .290.

The team had a 5-4 record in Eastern League play and finished in a four-way tie for fourth place. Army won the title with a 7-2 record. Today's game will not be counted in the league standings.