Cod Police Begin System Registering Non-Residents

By Parker Donham

in several Cape Cod have begun finger- and photographing summer employees in in an effort to keep increasing number of teen-agers and college flock to the Cape each .

great majority of the student population accepted this police system, some have it violates their civil .

of Barnatable, Harwich Orleans, and Yarmouth all from of registration for students. Some of began the system last the particulars vary town, the registration are typical.

Selectmen, acting Board for the town, at all licensed business as must register their employees with the No requirements are -licenced businesses, voluntarily. In notably Orleans, are required to co-operate with the registrations, but all are asked to comply.

An employee who goes to the police station to be registered fills out a form giving his permanent address, age, next of kin, and other details, and is photographed and fingerprinted. For a charge of two dollars he is issued an identification card bearing his photograph. An-other photograph and a set of fingerprints is kept on file with the town.

Supporters of the system note that it is used only for identification and say it helps the police keep down student vandalism which has been a growing problem on the Cape.

The Cape Codder, a weekly newspaper published in Orleans, editorialized Thursday that "a clear and present danger" exists on the Cape after recent riots at Newport, Hampton Beach and Laconia. "Given these circumstances," the paper argued, "it seems clear that Cape Cod towns have the right to take action to defend themselves, if not the duty to do so."

Earlier, a guest editorial in the Cape Codder deplored the system, saying the towns were treating ordinary citizens like criminals.