May Return to

Cox '34 said last night that he may return to the Law School in the Fall after serving four years as United solicitor general.

said it was "not appropriate" to discuss at length the of his returning here because the University has not officially to reappoint him. But as one high Law School official early yesterday, "We'd be delighted to have him."

if he would accept an official offer, Cox replied, "I consider it seriously."

His retirement was announced Tuesday by President Johnson, who nominated Thurgood Marshall to be his successor. Marshall will become the first Negro to serve as solicitor general.

A teacher at Harvard since 1945, Cox was appointed to the Royall Professorship -- the Law School's oldest endowed chair -- in 1958.

He went to Washington three years later when President Kennedy appointed him solicitor general.

A leading authority on labor law, Cox headed the Wage Stabilization Board in 1952. Earlier, he was associate solicitor of the Department of Labor, and for a time he served as principal mediation officer in the National Defense Mobilization Board.