Loeb to Stick To Repertory

The repertory system at the Loeb Drama Center will be back again next summer after a successful first year.

Audiences for the Loeb's four plays have been averaging 400 a night out of a capacity of 550. Audience surveys credited much of the summer's success to the repertory system under which several plays are shown alternately over the course of a long season.

Last summer three Shakespeare plays were given two-week runs, and the houses were not as good.

The best-drawing play has been Chekov's Uncle Vauya, which is averaging a paid attendance of 415. Brecht's Trumpets and Drums, which opened last week and is being shown only nine times, is expected to do as well.

The surveys have shown that only about 30 per cent of the summer audience is drawn from the Harvard community. "Most are from the suburbs," said Loeb publicity director James Hulse, "and most of them hear about the shows through the newspapers."

"Most of the ones who fill out polls seem to like the rep system like the shows--the ones who write little notes to us all want to see us do something far-out, like Giradoux, or Ugo Betti."