BRA

rived and blocked the van part way up the dirt road leading to the next house. Meanwhile, newspapers and television stations, along with fellow renewal opponents were notified of the "emergency."

By 11 a.m. renewal foes from Charlestown and Roxbury, along with members of Students for a Democratic Society, and representatives of the John Birch society, had gathered to rally the cause of the North Harvard residents. Shortly after Boston city counsilor Katherine Craven, a colorful and outspoken renewal critic heard of the situation and rushed to the scene.

Residents and supporters planted themselves on chairs in front of the van and waited for the enemy to act.

There the situation stayed, with about 100 people milling around. About 4:20 p.m. Edward Boyle, assistant corporation council, arrived and went into a BRA trailer with Deputy Police Superintendent Joseph Saia to discuss the situation with Sherriff Shaw and Ambrosn P. Griffin, BRA project manager.

At about 5:30 p.m. the moving van driver asked to be allowed to take the vehicle back to the Roxbury warehouse for the evening.

Deputy Saia asked people in the street several times to clear a path for the truck, but there was no response. Finally he gave the order to remove obstructors forcibly, and the four were arrested when they tried to block the truck.