NCAA Position Still Firm On Threat of Ivy Ouster

The possibility that the Ivy League schools may leave or be expelled from the National Collegiate Athletic Association was stronger than ever after the final business session of the NCAA convention closed yesterday.

The issue is "institutional autonomy." A NCAA by-law passed at last year's convention and effective January 1 of this year, sets a minimum academic standard of eligibility for athletic participation and athletic scholarships. The rule requires a predicted or actual grade point average of 1.6 on a scale of 4.0.

A grade-point average of 1.6 is roughly equivalent to a C-minus.

The Ivy League's Presidents' Committee has decided not to comply with the by-law on the principle that individual schools would lose autonomy over academic standards if they accepted the rule.

"The only thing left to do now is to wait and see what happens," said Adolph Samborski, Director of Athletics, when he arrived in Cambridge after attending the convention in Washington. "Our position is clear. We won't leave, but if the filing date goes by and the Ivies don't file, then it's up to the NCAA to tell us that we're not in compliance and what the consequences are."

The NCAA by-law states that the penalty for non-compliance with the requirement is ineligibility to participate in any event sponsored by the Association.

NCAA ineligibility would not seriously change Harvard's athletic schedule. Dual meets, even with other NCAA member schools, need not be sanctioned by the NCAA and Ivy League championships would not be affected. Ivy schools however would not be able to compete for NCAA championships if they were declared ineligible.

A floor fight was expected at this week's convention as a result of the Ivies' proposals to change the regulation or delay its enforcement. The fight never materialized. The convention simply voted down the Ivy proposals.

The convention, in another move, elected Samborski to the NCAA Council, the body which makes policy during the interludes between conventions. He will serve on the 18-man council for two years.

Samborski told the CRIMSON that his election signified no attempt to head off the possible Ivy League secession. He was elected to represent the NCAA's District #1, which includes most of the schools in the North-East. Each district has a member on the Council.