Harvard News Briefs

Freshman Problems Probed

The Board of Overseers Committee to visit Harvard College had lunch yesterday with fourteen undergraduates to discuss problems of the freshman year.

"Isolation" of freshmen from upper-classmen and problems in advising them about courses were considered, along with the condition of the freshman dormitories. During the rest of the day, the Committee heard about freshmen from Dr. Stanley H. King, director of Research at the University Health Services; Dean K. Whitia, director of the Office of Tests; F. Skiddy von Stade Jr. '38, dean of Freshmen; and others.

The Committee, chaired by Amory Houghton Jr. '50, and including Presidents John E. Sawyer of Williams College and Julius A. Stratton of M.I.T. will report to the Overseers this spring.

Each year the Committee to Visit the College chooses a different topic for concern and spends a day in Cambridge studying it.

Faculty Members Get Grants

John O. Brew, Peabody Professor of American Archaeology and Ethnology, and David E. Bynum '58, instructor in Slavic Languages and Literatures, are among 11 scientists awarded fellowships by the American Council of Learned Societies. The accompanying grants, subsidized by IBM, are for "experimentation with the use of computers as an aid to research in the humanities."

Hogan's Goat Spiked

In a New York bar, old goats, nannies, and kids over eighteen are ordering "Hogan's Goats"--a mixture of goat's milk and vodka named after William Alfred's hit play.