Fencers Face Columbia for Ivy Title

By George M. Flesh

When Harvard's varsity fencers duel Columbia in New York Saturday, they will be facing the best squad of swordsmen in Ivy League history.

All but one member of Columbia's 1965 national championship team is back this year. If the Lions' all-Americans and all-Ivy Leaguers falter, they have a New York Invitational foil champion and an Eastern Intercollegiate runner-up to back them up.

And that's not all. Coach Irving Dekoff has a second-string that could mangle all but the top few collegiate teams in the country. The bench is last year's undefeated freshman team, comprised mostly of New York public high school league veterans.

It's too bad that the best Columbia team ever had to appear the same year that Harvard reached its peak. The Crimson is 6-1, with a 17-10 win over vaunted C.C.N.Y., and should walts past its other Ivy foes. Saturday's match, the first of the Ivy season, will decide the league crown.

Columbia is exceptionally strong in all three weapons, but the foil team is still a standout. Senior Steve Weinstein, amazingly quick on attack despite his bulk, is a second-team all-American, Sophomore Jeff Kestler, former New York public school champion won the New York Metropolitan Invitational this year. Third man is Bruno Santonocito, second in last year's Eastern foil competition.

Captain Mark Berger, fifth in the nation, and first-team all-Ivy last year, leads Columbia's sabre team. Sophomore Fred Lowy, top man on last year's freshman squad, is second in varsity sabre.

The Lions' open team boasts two of last year's all-Ivy first-team selections, seniors Richard Holzman and John Jost. Holzman was an all-American two years ago.

Harvard's chances may depend on the mood set in, the first sabre bout. If Paul Profeta boats Columbia's all-American Berger, the Crimson might get psyched up instead of out. Profeta took second in the New England Sabre Open during Christmas vacation.

The varsity defeated Brandeis, 20-7, yesterday for the second time this year.