Top Racehorse Buffle Is Dead At Age Three

Buffle, one of the nation's finest Thoroughbreds, died late Tuesday at Belmont Park. The three-year-old colt, generally regarded as second only to mighty Buckpasser, had been suffering since last Thursday of a mysterious brain ailment which paralyzed his face muscles and prevented him from eating.

He had been scheduled to race against Buckpasser in yesterday's Lawrence Realization at Aquaduct. Although Buffle was never able to beat Buckpasser -- unbeaten in his last eleven starts -- he was always close enough to share he glory, and managed impressive victories of his own whenever Buckpasser wasn't using the same track.

Such an occasion was last month's New Hampshire Sweepstakes Classic, in which Buffle scored a mild upset by beating Jolly Jet and Amberoid to capture the world's richest three-year-old contest. He won four of his fifteen races, and his lifetime earnings totalled $360,000.

His last race was the Woodward Stakes on October 1, in which he finished third to Buckpasser and Royal Gunner, beating last year's divisional champion Tom Rolfe by five lengths.

Max Hirsch, Buffle's trainer for the King Ranch, announced yesterday that the horse's body was being sent to the University of Pennsylvania for an autopsy.

Recommended Articles

Women's Studies
HANOVER, N.H. --The Dartmouth faculty of arts and sciences voted last week to continue Dartmouth's women's studies program for another
Police Suggest Students Protect Cash, Valuables
Although University Police reported no increase in thefts during the first week of Summer Session, students are being urged to
Raise Fund For Athletic Field
The sum of $22,050 has already been pledged by the Dartmouth student body in their drive during the past week
Over the Wire
HYDE, Md. -- Pompoon, juvenile champion of American in 1936 and runner-up to War Admiral in most of the big
Junior Honored
Corporal Russell E. Hoyt Post, Veterans of Foreign Wars, announced last night that James Tobias '41, of Dunster House and
TOBIAS GETS LEGION MEDAL FOR ATTEMPTED BABY RESCUE
James B. Tobias '41 of Dunster House will receive the Citizenship Medal of the Corporal Russell E. Hoyt Post 299