AFL-CIO Union Disputes BGMA's Right to Represent B & G Workers

By Paul J. Corkery

Local 254 of the Building Services Employees' International Union (AFL-CIO) has challenged the right of a small independent union to represent Harvard's Buildings and Grounds employees.

Edward T. Sullivan, business agent of local 254, told a meeting of B & G workers last night at the Sheraton-Commander that a majority of the union had signed cards authorizing the BSEIU as their bargaining agent. Sullivan also said that he had notified the University that his local intended to represent the workers.

The Buildings and Grounds Maintenance Association, whose only chapter is at Harvard, is currently recognized as the exclusive bargaining agent of all non-student B & G workers. According to Sullivan, BGMA officers approached him last March to discuss the possibility of the BSEIU's becoming the bargaining agent for the employees.

More Effective

Sullivan explained that the BGMA officers felt that his union which represents B & G workers at Radcliffe, M.I.T., B.U., Tufts, and other colleges through out the nation, would be a more effective bargainer than their small association.

Accordingly cards naming the BSEIU as the new union were sent out to B & G workers. Sullivan said that a majority of the workers signed the cards, but that BGMA president, Robert Richardson, never returned them. Some of the B & G workers at last night's meetings said that Richardson had become interested in having the International Union of Electrical Workers named as the B & G bargaining agent. Richardson himself was unavailable for comment last night.

The Building Services Employees' International has been interested in organizing Harvard for some time. Sullivan said that negotiations at other colleges are affected by what ever settlements are made at Harvard, "the oldest and richest university."

"Before I die," Sullivan told the audience "I've got to get into Harvard and if I do, I'll get you what you're willing to fight for."