Crimson Harriers Capture G.B.C. Crown

Win Third Straight

By James K. Glassman

The Harvard cross-country team continued its astounding late-season surge yesterday by running away from the field to win the Greater Boston Collegiate meet at Franklin Park for the third straight year.

The Crimson harriers scored 28 points to second-place Northeastern's 64. Harvard had lost to the Huskies, 24-37 in a dual meet in the beginning of the season. Yesterday, the harriers got some delicious revenge, bettering their own times on the Boston course by about a minute per man.

Harvard put five men across the finish line yesterday before the first Northeastern runner. In the first encounter with the Huskies, the Crimson only placed two men in the top nine.

Doug Hardin stretched his unbeaten string to eight races by winning the individual title in 22:40, 13.6 seconds off the record set earlier this year on Franklin's 4.7-mile short layout by Wesleyan's Ambrose Burfoot.

Harvard races are usually run on Franklin's 5.5-mile course. The only other time Hardin has raced the short one, he ran it in 23:14--over half a minute slower than yesterday.

It was the harriers' fifth win in a row after losing to Brown four weeks ago. From the start it was Harvard's race. The Crimson runners zipped out to the head of the 140-man pack early and just hung on.

Breath on his Neck

Hardin had B.U.'s George Starkus breathing down his neck for the first three miles until the defending champion couldn't take the pace and dropped back to finish second, 31 seconds back.

Bob Stempson, a regular scorer for the Crimson, finished third in 23:21. Sophomore Tim McLoone, who placed second against Dartmouth and eighth against Yale and Princeton, was sixth yesterday. Senior Jim Smith took eighth and Dick Howe placed ninth. If scored on a dual meet basis Harvard would have shutout Northeastern, 15-47.

In the team standings, Tufts, undefeated going into the G.B.C. meet, finished fourth. B.U. placed a disappointing fifth. And Boston College was sixth, even though Bill Norris finished fifth for the Eagles in the individual standings.

Freshman Victory

Harvard had little trouble winning the freshman meet oto. Ben Wilson of M.I.T. knocked 44 seconds off the old course mark to win the individual crown in 15:30. But after Wilson it was all Crimson.

Roy Shaw, Keith Colburn, John Heyburn, and Erik Roth took the next four places for Harvard, and Dave Truesdale was sixth.

The final freshman scores were: Harvard 21, M.I.T. 39, Northeastern 83, B.C. 99, Tufts 119.