Could Chosen 1967 Soccer Captain; Baker Reelected to Head Harriers

Soccer

Right halfback C. Joseph Gould '68 was elected captain of Harvard's 1967 varsity soccer team yesterday.

Gould, of Adams House and Brockton succeeds Richard E. Hammond '67. The pair played together on the Exeter soccer team for two years.

"The most difficult thing for me will be filling Richie's shoes," Gould said. "He really knew how to get the most from his teammates."

Seven Years of Soccer

The new captain, who is six feet tall and weighs 175 pounds, has played soccer for the past seven years, beginning in Exeter's intramural program as a freshman.

One of the Crimson's fastest players, Gould is known for his aggressive defense. He has never scored a point.

"I couldn't be more delighted with the choice," said Harvard Coach Bruce Munro. "Joe has been one of our steadiest performers. He was particularly strong in our last two games, and we're expecting a great deal from him next season."

Rah, Rah, Rah

"Soccer is a game of skill and a low-pressure sport as we play it here at Harvard," Gould said. "A captain has to supply very little rah, rah, rah."

"My most important responsibility will be to blend our various nationalities and personalities into a winning team. If we can dip into our undefeated freshman team to fill the holes left by graduating seniors, we could go all the way."