Yovicsin Yelps

Football coach John Yovicsin is not an outspoken man. When he expresses an opinion in public, there is good cause to listen.

A week ago Yovicsin called for a complete reappraisal of Harvard's athletic program and facilities. He cited a need for improving sports equipment and facilities at Harvard, he suggested that the University speed up its efforts to build a sports complex, and he recommended that a Faculty committee study the conflicts with athletics caused by late classes and labs.

There was nothing radical in Yovicsin's comments, nor anything which lacked validity. The only question is whether or not he chose the right time to plug the athletic program's aspirations. His comments came before 500 people at the annual football banquet at the Harvard Club of Boston, and created a bit of public sensaiton -- not the kind of publicity which elicits funds, however.

Yovicsin wanted to make an impact, and he wanted an opportunity when he would not seem to be making excuses for football losses. Having just completed Harvard's most successful football season in 46 years, Yovicsin saw his chance.

His surprise public statement probably did nothing to change the University's cool attitude towards spending money on athletics. It did, however, point out again the immediacy of Harvard's need for more sports facilities. All the other Ivy schools except Yale, which is far ahead of Harvard in facilities now, have either completed or begun new sports centers.

Yovicsin may not have a politician's sense of timing, but at least he recognizes a deficiency in the University athletic program.