Take Up Transcendental Meditation, Indian Seer Tells Under-Achievers

Transcendental Meditation can improve your grades, make you a better citizen, assure you of a higher salary, alleviate world suffering, and increase the productivity of the national economy, Maharishi Mahesh Yogi promised an overflow crowd of about 200 in Leverett House Junior Common Room last night.

After David Katz, President of the Yale chapter of the International Meditation Society had been laughed down attempting to explain the Indian mystic's philosophy, Maharishi appeared, half an hour late. He was a slight, dark man with a gray beard who dressed in long white robes and carried a bouquet of flowers.

Maharishi described how, through meditation, a person could perceive his thoughts at progressively deeper levels of consciousness and eventually arrive at the blissful state where his consciousness had reached its absolute limits.

"The entire history of mankind to date has been achieved with the use of only the surface of the human mind," he said. "Just think what one generation could accomplish by using its entire capacity for consciousness."

When students attempted to pin Maharishi down on just how to attain this expanded consciousness, he insisted that it was impossible to describe to a group and could be explained only in a private session with an instructor.

The International Meditation Society is offering such a course for $35. About 40 students stayed to sign up for the course.