Ancient Greeks Wandered In Turkey, Diggers Claim

A Harvard archeologist has confirmed the legend about Greek heroes wandering through Turkey after the Trojan War.

George M. Hanfmann, Professor of Fine Arts, acted as Field Director for a joint archeological expedition with Cornell this summer in Sardis, Turkey.

The Greek historian Herodotus maintains that Greek heroes whom he called the Sons of Herakles seized Sardis in the 12th century B.C. The evidence found on this expedition was the first definitely to corroborate this.

In 1960 several artifacts were found on the site, but a second expedition in 1962 produced no evidence of a Greek invasion. During this year's study, however, traces were found of Greek buildings and pottery of the 11th and 12th centuries B.C.

Bronze Age

These relics date back to the fall of Bronze Age Greece, when bands of Greek warriors roamed through the Eastern Mediterranean. The new evidence shows that Greeks had penetrated 60 miles into Asia Minor, probably from their strongholds on the Aegean Sea.

"We had some slight intimation about the existence of evidence," Hanfmann said, "but we never though we'd find enough material. The amount of evidence was a complete