Campbell for State Senator

Republican Levin H. Campbell is trying for the second straight time to unseat state Senator Francis X. McCann, and there are compelling reasons for Cambridge voters to prefer the challenger. McCann has shown in 12 years on Beacon Hill that he is a Democratic rubber stamp, responsible for little original thinking and less legislation. His most active effort for any project came four years ago when he sponsored the bill which would have destroyed the Memorial Drive sycamores to build a set of underpasses. McCann's public silence since then has been noticeable.

Campbell, however, has been far from silent in the past two years. As assistant attorney general for civil rights under Edward A. Brooke, Campbell was responsible for Massachusetts' dramatic defense of the 1965 Voting Rights Act before the Supreme Court. He enlisted Archibald Cox, Samuel Williston Professor of Law and former U.S. Solicitor General, to join him in presenting an amicus curiae brief containing arguments the Court later used in declaring its support of the law.

Clearly, Campbell promises action in public office, while McCann has proven that none can be expected of him. Cambridge should not pass over Campbell a second time.