Harvard Track Team Should Nip Tigers, Yale in Big Three Meet

With a 4-0 record and a decisive victory in the Greater Boston meet last week, Harvard's trackmen look like a sure thing to win the Big Three title in New Haven Saturday for the fifth straight year. But don't count on it yet.

Although Harvard's balance and scoring potential in every event make it the favorite, Princeton's distance runners give the Tigers a chance to take the title for the first time. Yale has enough first-place material, but lacks the depth necessary to challenge the Crimson.

Events are scored on a 5-3-2-1, basis, with each school allowed four entries in each event except the relays, 600, and 1000.

The big battle between Harvard and Princeton looms in the distances and mid-distances. On present performances, Ritchie Geisel (4:11) and Rose O'Neill (4:14) give Princeton a decided advantage in the mile. They will have to be in top form, however, to defeat Harvard sophomore Jim Baker, who also is registered at 4:14. Another Crimson sophomore, Ran Langenbach, could possibly grab a fourth, but he will have to beat Princeton's Andriani (4:16).

Geisel also stands as the two-mile favorite at 9:06, but Baker (9:11) is close enough to cause trouble.

O'Keefe vs. Burns

Probably the meet's highest quality event will be the 100-yard run between Tiger senior Terry O'Keefe and Crimson sophomore Trey Burns. O'Keefe's 2:10.4 and Burns' 2:10.8 are among the best in college ranks anywhere, and Princeton is not far behind these two.

Yale's Mark Young, a football end during the off-season, has the edge in the 100-yard run with 1:10.2. Princeton's Allison is right behind, followed by Crimson sophomore Jeff Huevelle. Eli captain Hank Cole and Harvard's Frank Haggerty place.

Last week Rich Robinson tied a Yale record in the 60-yard dash with a nifty 1:06.2 and should win that event unless Crimson junior Wayne Anderson, who is rapidy regaining form after a poor start, can pull an upset. Sammy Robinson, recovering from a leg injury, may be ready to pick up points for Harvard.

In the hurdles, a tight race should develop between Yale's Ken Donovan (:07.4) and Harvard captain Tony Lynch (:07.5). The third and fourth spots are wide open, with Harvard's Andy Cahners and Harvey Thomas as contenders.

In the relays, Princeton should win the two-mile with case, while Yale and Princeton both hold an edge over Harvard in the mile relay.

Harvard will have more depth in the field events. Steve Schoonover and Tiger Jon Morse should have a vault battle at over 14 feet, while Chris Pardee and Tiger Mel Branch will be high jumping around 6-8. Charlie Njoku of Harvard should out-jump his Yale competition for third place.

Jones Should Take Broad Jump

In the broad jump, no one is near Eli Paul Jones's 23-plus feet, though Harvard has four contenders for the other spots.

Harvard's one fairly certain win comes in the weight, where Ron Wilson at 54 feet holds a solid edge over Princeton's John Seifert. Wilson and teammate Carter Lord will vying at the 49-foot level in the shot put for places behind Yale favorite Bob Greenlee.