Reverett Drowns Kirkland, Takes House Swim Title

By James P. Mnookin

Leverett House splashed past Kirkland Tuesday to win the intramural swimming championship for the second year in a row. The score was a lopsided 27-13, and the Bunnies set two new intramural records.

In the final team standings, Kirkland finished second and Eliot third.

Leverett broke the two records in the 100 yard medley relay and 200 yard freestyle, the crucial events in the meet.

In the medley relay, John Wurster, Grant Hammond, Tony Obst, and Tom Pringle swam a 1:53.5, beating Kirkland by nearly a body-length. Walter Keats, Tom Pringle, Jeff Dundon and anchor Richard Blumenthal did a 1:36.7--average splits of 24 plus--to win by over half the pool.

Following the Medley relay, which put the Bunnies ahead of Kirkland and Eliot by two points, Leverett backstrokers Keats and Wurster took first and third respectively. Bill Tobin and Grant Hammond swept the butterfly. The winning time in the backstroke was 29.8 and in the butterfly 27.1.

In the breaststroke Paul Lankin nosed out Kirkland's John French at 30.2, and Obat of Leverett squeezed into third.

The win against Kirkland means that Leverett will represent Harvard Houses against Yale's best college squad (Yale's Colleges are equivalent to Harvard's Houses) at New Haven this weekend. Last year, Leverett rolled over Davenport College, Yale's best, by a score of 41-36. It thus became the first Harvard House to win this contest since 1946. Yale will determine an opponent to Leverett this week when their intramural competition ends.

Although the meet on Tuesday involved the three top teams in the league, and was decisive in the team standings, there were few spectators. The only excitement of the evening was provided by an unidentified Cliffie who entered the gallery at the IAB pool about halfway through the meet.

Ten minutes later, when she noticed that many of the House swimmers were not wearing suits, she left.