Harvard Teams Whitewash Yale In House Sports

Leverett Swimming

The Leverett frogmen topped their second undefeated season in two years with a 36-30 win over Yale's Davenport College in the IAB Saturday.

Despite the handicap of swimming in two events strange to them, Leverett's swimmers clinched the victory before the two final events.

Davenport opened the meet with a victory in the 150-yard medley relay, an event not held in Harvard intramural competition. But Leverett's Bill Tobin won the 100-yard freestyle--the other unfamiliar event--with a fast 53.5 seconds, bettering his own personal mark by 3 seconds.

Walter Keats and John Wurster put Leverett ahead with one--two finishes in the 50-yard backstroke. Tom Pringle widened the lead with a victory in the 50-yard freestyle.

Leverett clinched the meet in the breaststroke. Sophomore Paul Lanken won it with a time of 31.7 and Junior Tony Obst finished second.

Davenport's coach strained to catch Leverett false-starting in the final two events, but the frogmen were not about to give up their lead.

Leverett can look forward to a strong team next year with five of eight men on the team returning Captain and Coach Grant Hammond, John Wurster and Tom Pringle are all seniors, but Tebin, Lanken, Keats, Obst and Jeff Dundon will swim for Leverett next year.

Eliot Hockey, 5-0

Eliot House won the Harvard-Yale intramural hockey championship by whitewashing Saybrook College 5-0, Saturday at Watson Rink.

Eliot, 12-1-1 in house games this season, wasted no time in showing its superiority.

Chuck Wiggin opened the scoring in the first period by batting in the second rebound of Kim Prince's breakaway attempt. Tony Parker's tip-in of a 40-footer by Jamie Nevin gave Eliot a 2-0 lead at the end of the first period.

With a crowd of about 150 chanting "We're number one" after every Eliot goal, Karl Rosenberger defected Woe Simmons' blue-line shot past the surprised Yale goalie for the only score of the second period. Eliot goalie "Itek" Etcheverry prevented the Elis from closing the gap with two sprawling saves on breakaway attempts.

Tony Taylor's tip-in and Bob Clafiln's hot on an open not after a great take by Captain Chip Clarke closed the scoring, as Eliot--with only one graduating, senior--began to think about next year.