Elliot Fencing Team Edges Everett House by a Point

MCGOWAN TAKES FIRST

Eliot House narrowly defeated its archrival Leverett by one point Wednesday. The final rounds of the intramural fencing tournament, 22-31.

The epee tournament saved Eliot, who had been defeated in the sabre by Leverett. McGowan of Eliot, who did not place in the sabre round, fought to first place in the epee, assuring Eliot of victory.

Tuesday night, Leverett rallied past Eliot and won the sabre competition by a score of ten points to the Elephant's five. Kenneth Russell, Leverett's strong man, slid ahead of Eliot's Louis Hinman for first place. In the final rounds of the foil competition, the situation reversed with Hinman taking the honors and Russell placing second.

Kirkland's Francis Coolidge placed second in the epee leaving his house third in the round. Though he was not among the top six in Tuesday's sabre tournament, he took a third in the foil event. Gill added three points to Coolidge's nine bringing the total to twelve.

Of the other six houses, Winthrop picked up three points in the sabre and five in the epee. Backman and Phil Chase fought hard for Winthrop's eight points.

Helping Eliot were Jim Norris who won two points in the epee and Eugene Freuder with a last place in the foil competition.

Joe Cook of Leverett, who had won three points in the sabre round, did not show anything in the other two matches, and his house-mate Jim Seubold made three points in the foil. With only Russell gaining points for Leverett in epee, Eliot had their chance to edge into the lead.

In all three rounds there were six qualifying places. Thus in the sabre and epee competition, Kirkland and Winthrop tied. Kirkland's four points in the foil brought the team into third place.