The Selfish Departments

The interdepartmental programs of History and Lit and Social Studies have recently encountered increasing difficulty in getting staff and resources from the departments. According to reports from faculty members, these two programs have met with "hostility" and "resistance" from certain department officials.

Both of these programs are heavily dependent on the cooperation and support of the departments. Only a few teaching fellows have appointments in either History and Lit or Social Studies. Most tutors in the programs are affiliated with the English, History or Government departments. If the History Department should refuse to provide a sufficient number of tutors, History and Lit would founder. Similarly, if the Government Department should put pressure on teaching fellows not to participate, Social Studies would be seriously hurt.

Departments often argue--and with some justification--that they do not have sufficient resources to meet the demands of the special programs. But the policy of resistance is often deliberate: departments resent the ability of these interdepartmental programs to lure honors students, and resist their attempts to attract more staff.

There have been numerous reports, for example, that the Chairman of a social science department has warned teaching fellows that they will "jeopardize their careers" by working in Social Studies. Through reports and recommendations, Department chairmen may exercise a paramount influence in the careers of the men who work for them. Those who have been affected by this subtle combination of threat and persuasion are understandably fearful that publicity will only aggravate the problem. They have refused to be quoted or named.

Interviews with teaching fellows indicate that this hostility may be limited to one or two department officials. Their influence so far has probably been minimal, and the damage inconsequential. Full support and cooperation, however, are vital to the success of the interdepartmental programs. Indeed, the legislation creating History and Lit and Social Studies specifically requests assistance from the departments.

The resources of the departments may not be boundless; but department officials may at least use them less selfishly, and we hope they will be more cooperative in the future.