Celtics Hand Cincinnati Second Playoff Victory

The Boston Celtics blew an NBA playoff game yesterday -- something they never used to do.

After a rally brought them into a 105-105 tie with the Cincinnati Royals with a minute to go, the Celts stood by in embarrassment while Happy Hairston and Oscar Robertson foul-shot the Royals to a 113-107 victory and a 2-1 lead in the best-of-five semifinal series. They play again in Cincinnati Wednesday, and if the Celts lose, they will be out of the play off finals for the first time since 1956.

In the first quarter, Robertson looked of he intended to run the game himself. He drove time and again, fed Jerry Lucas adeptly, and sent the Royals into a 27-17 lead.

But a freak injury brought Lucas to the sidelines briefly; Robertson cooled off and the Celtics began to threaten. They caught the Royals twice and were own only 57-56 at the half.

The Celts appeared to have taken command late in the fourth quarter, though, when Tom Sanders' tip-in gave them a 94-88 lead.

Then the hero of Saturday's Boston win, Sam Jones, sabotaged the Celtics' lead. Benched midway through the second period when he had just six points and four personal fouls. Jones reappeared early in the last quarter and looked no better. He tried half a dozen of his one-hand jump shots and missed them all. He missed three straight while the Royals trimmed the Celtics' lead and tied them at 99-99 on Lucas's foul shot.

The Royals pulled ahead 105-101 and Jones connected on his first two-pointer of the half. Moments later he laid in a rebound to make it 105-105.

Then came disaster. Hairston sank two free throws, then looped back and stole a full-court pass. As Robertson dribbled up the left side, Sam Jones fouled him and Oscar made both. A Havlicek jumper brought the Celts within two points again, but they had to foul; Hairston made two more to put the game out of reach.

Havlicek turned in a distinguished performance for the Celts, entering the game midway through the second quarter and popping home jump shots almost unerringly. He would up with 36 points to lead both teams. Robertson and Lucas had 27 for Cincinnati. Thirteen of Robertson's points and 45 of the Royals came from the foul line.