Demonstrators and Boston's Police

The Boston police did not adequately prepare for Saturday's protest march. It was good luck rather than any effort on their part that prevented serious incidents.

When the 2000 marchers arrived at the Arlington St. Church, they were greeted by 300-400 vociferous and hostile hecklers. The police were caught flatfooted. There were at most 20 present, spread up and down Arlington St. No barricades had been set up to hold the pro-war demonstrators on the opposite side of the street.

As the marchers filed into the Church several barrages of eggs were aimed at them from across the street. The policemen stood by and watched. Then one marcher went into the street and ripped a pro-war sign. Two of the half dozen policemen holding back the crowd grabbed him, and the crowd surged across the street toward the marchers. For a few moments, as the policemen stood by, fists flew and the two groups confronted each other.

Finally the police got between the two groups, but they didn't stop the egg barrages until a police captain was hit a few moments later. Only then did reinforcements start arriving. Members of both groups mingled together in front of the Church for over an hour before large numbers of policemen finally moved in and dispersed the crowd.

Incidents on Friday had warned the police to expect trouble. Hostile crowds met demonstrators both at the Boston Army base and in the North End. Then, heckling quickly turned into spitting and slugging. The temper of the pro-administration onlookers was obviously violent.

But the Boston police did not heed this warning. By contrast, the Cambridge police shepherded the marchers from the Cambridge Common to the Mass. Ave. bridge with admirable control. They stationed men at every possible trouble point along the way. Though it was evident that their sympathies were not with the protestors, they brooked absolutely no trouble from a group of about 50 pro war demonstrators who marched the whole way a few yards ahead of the protestors.

Perhaps the Cambridge police are just more used to protest marches. They planned well, then did their job with dispatch and fairness. The Boston police should follow their example.