English Pick Ten J.F.K. Scholars

The trustees of the Kennedy Memorial Fund in England have named the first groups of Kennedy Scholars. The Scholars will study at Harvard and M.I.T. during the 1966-67 academic year.

The Program, which is part of the British national memorial to the late President Kennedy, seeks to bring modern technology and the humanities to gather in the study of public affairs and science.

Seven of the ten Scholars selected will spend the year at Harvard. Five are is the social sciences, one in classics, and one in law. The other three will study engineering and mathematics at M.I.T.

Earlier this year, Hugh Y. Hunter arrived at Harvard on a British fellowship honoring the late president. His stipend, however, was provided by the National Union of Students rather than by the official Kennedy Memorial program.

Tuition Plus $4000

The program pays for the Scholars' tuition, and provides each student with $4000 for living expenses and an additional travel allowance. The awards are made for one year, but may be renewed for a second. During the second year the stipend is reduced to $35000.

Scholars are selected on the basis of intellectual excellence and personal character. The conditions of the fellowship require that they be educated primarily in British schools of have some close connection with the United Kingdom. The average age of applicant to expected to be about 25, but students up to 2$ may be accepted in unusual cases.

This year the trustees announced a special preference for candidates interested in historical, social, or political studies.