21 Cliffies Apply to Live Off-Campus

30 Will Be Chosen By Drawing Today

Seventy-one Radcliffe juniors have applied to move to off-campus apartments next year, forcing the Radcliffe Residence Office to institute a drawing and increase the number of girls permitted to move off from 20 to 30.

But the rule requiring applicants to be 21 years old by next September will be strictly enforced, cutting down the actual number of people who will be drawing to 60.

The drawing will be held today by Houses, with ten girls from each House moving into apartments next year. The number of applications from the three Houses was approximately equal, with North House having slightly fewer than the other two.

The impossibility of choosing among the letters dictated the decision to hold the drawing, Susan S. Olson, Dean of Residence, announced yesterday. She said that all letters were well-written and had offered valid reasons for moving off-campus, but the Administration did not feel it could judge the relative values of these reasons.

"I think if the girls really examine the situation they will find the drawings fairer," Miss Olson said. The number drawing system is used for room priorities in all other Radcliffe housing.

Originally, the decision to limit the number of girls moving off-campus had been based on both financial considerations and the desirability of having seniors living in a dormitory with under-classmen.

The plan to increase the number is due not only to the large number of applicants, but also to the expected over-crowding in Radcliffe housing next year.

This will occure if Mabel Daniels Hall, the first unit of the Fourth House, is not ready for occupancy. Radcliffe has already announced that 83 Brattle St. will be closed next year, and many rooms in present dormitories may be deconverted.

Miss Olson said that when the over-crowding is alleviated, it is possible that the number permitted off-campus may be decreased.